SOCIAL MEDIA

1982-2022 We turned 40!

MOBILE USERS Scroll down below the posts to see the menus. Last Updated Feb 2022
Monday, January 12, 2015

Myron Mixon Smoker MMS-48 Review Turkey Meal One of Seven


Myron Mixon Smoker
Practicing some grub on the Myron Mixon Smoker

Myron Mixon Smoker Review

I've been getting a lot of questions on how , or if  am liking my Myron Mixon Smoker. Well, I'm going to tell you the honest truth:  I have put it to the test with 7 completely different meals and I am going to show you that it kicked ass all 7 times. 


4. Whole Hog 
5. Baby Back Ribs
6. Brisket
7. Cupcake Chicken


First, you must understand, that I've always been a direct heat man, and will continue to use my big pits on the road, at fairs, and festivals, the crowd watches me cook and flip my meat.  I have cooked some mighty good meals on direct heat and I'm not knocking it.

In my heart for three decades I've been hell bent on thinking real barbecuing was all about flipping and grilling your meats, the showmanship of it all, and maybe I used to think that cooking in a sealed box was cheating.  Well, it only takes a few meals to set your mind straight. I have cooked these seven same meals on my direct heat smokers vs. the Myron Mixon indirect heat H20 smoker and well, the Myron Mixon Smoker wins hands down. 

The main difference, is although the flavor profiles will come out close, the juice that your meat retails is unreal. It melts in your mouth and stays moist. Even the worst cook ever can turn out something he or she will be pleased with in one of these beauties. 

The basic 48" H20 smoker runs $4995 and is worth every penny.  Mine has some upgrades, custom paint, pig stoppers and extra flat rack.  My wife found out Jimbo in Florida who runs The Cove Barbeque Company  wanted to off his Mixon.  He had ordered it in July, with lots of upgrades, yet Jimbo cooks on a big direct heat Lang, and for him he needed something a little bigger.  That's okay, his loss was my gain and so my wife got it for me for Christmas.

So the first meal I did was Smoked Turkey.  

Turkey in Brine
I brine my turkey prior to smoking.   My brine is simple and not too salty. 

Brining for two days really put the taste into my turkey. When brining make sure you aren't buying a turkey that has a ton of injected solution into it. The injected solution that some companies use is loaded with sodium and salt.  Then you are soaking in brine, loaded with salt and flavoring, and yu may come out with something not so tasty after all. High quality or fresh turkey's won't come pre-injected with tons of sodium solutions. 

Three Part Turkey Seasoning
Three components, butter, and some dry rub make the ultimate turkey seasoning. 

I also inject the turkey with a solution of butter, sage and white pepper. Injecting butter has to be hot or your needle will clog. I would advise against the dill in it because it can clog your needle. Here,  I basically cooked one stick down to a small pile of sage and a few pinches of Sauer's white pepper. 

Injecting the Turkey

You can see the butter is now colored with sage and white pepper. 

The other of the three key ingredients is above is sweet dill, which I then sprinkle on top with some of my dry rub. I don't want to overdo the rub part, because remember the brine is loaded with salt.   Note I just lightly coat the skin with the dry rub....cut up some veggies and it's time to rock.  Meanwhile I've got my smoker going.  



Turkey for Mixon Smoker

The Turkey is Ready for the Mixon Smoker

The turkey is ready for the smoker, I did this at 300 degrees and used a Maverick to regulate. I was like a kid in the candy store though, so used to constantly checking my bird and basting it that I kept wanting to do something.  Now, I did baste this but only after it made it's own juices. About 1/10 less basting than cooking on direct heat.  In actuality, you probably could have done no basting and it would have come out fine, but hey, a man's gotta do something while he's waiting on his food. 


Myron Mixon Smoker for my Turkey

Waiting patiently and noticing the juice build up in the pan, great for basting.

Note the bird would  make it's own juices, this is from the brine, injection, and natural turkey juices. That is the stuff you baste with to get that golden brown.  Oh yeah..


Bigfatdaddys Perfect Turkey
So the internal reached 165 and I was ready to get my bird out. 

I let my turkey rest a bit before cutting or slicing.  The turkey was juicy, buttery and moist. I decided not to slice but to let the pieces pull of naturally and had the best turkey dinner ever.  Literally, you could just pull the turkey off the bone and not have to tug or break it.  


Smoked Turkey Dinner
Turkey Smoked in the Myron Mixon Smoker Tastes Moist and Juicy

In comparison, I also did one on the Weber, (below) in my classic way. I sit a whole pan on the smoker, basting always, also injected and dry rubbed the same way. Although this bird looked prettier on the plate it wasn't near as moist though . Don't let a picture be deceiving, if you look close on the slices on the left, you can see it was dry and not as moist.

Smoked Turkey Dinner on Weber
Weber Grill Smoked Turkey: Still Good though Not as Moist

So there you have it. If you cook turkey in an oven or on a direct heat smoker, you know the meat that's under the breast or close to the wing (dark meat) is usually more moist and tender than the rest of the turkey, yet on the Mixon it's all this way.

Go to the stuffed lobster post.

PS This smoker is made in the USA.

Visit the Got Beef ? ® Store, who sponsored this post!

got beef ?  ® clothing housewares and more store



Big Fat Daddy's Archive