SOCIAL MEDIA

1982-2022 We turned 40!

MOBILE USERS Scroll down below the posts to see the menus. Last Updated Feb 2022
Friday, February 17, 2012

Australian Beef Recipes: Aussie Meat and Video

pit beef picture
Could you tell the difference?

Folks looked at me like I was crazy when, a few years, back, I boycotted the big chain American beef industry due to unnecessary growth hormones. I'm American just like the next guy, and I do love a big fat cow, but I don't want to be passing unhealthy hormones onto my customers. I understand the farmer has to make a living and he wants the biggest, baddest cows, but someone has to say enough is enough. I used to not have a choice and they had my b*lls to a wall as I told them here, in the Baltimore Sun paper. 


I believe in supporting the American farmers and local economy and sure I love a juicy cow just like the next guy. Sometimes these hormones interfere with our kids and how they grow and that I don't like. Even when they aren't dumping them into the cow food you have to be careful if they are using harmful chemicals on the grains or grass they are feeding them. So, I turned to organic farmers. Locally they couldn't keep up with the demand I needed to do my county fairs. I could get it from four to six sources per week, but truth be told they like selling in small quantities to local stores, markets and small butches as specialized meats --for them this is the best profit on it, and rightfully so.  Can't say I blame them.  I was ready to give up until my food guy tipped me off to Australian beef.

First of all, it's not kangaroo; it's real succulent beef from cows! Now mind you, this was before Australian beef prices skyrocketed mind you, before it was hip and in style. Fast forward to now, it's in DC restaurants for $50 per tiny fillet. I guess they caught on. This was when no one wanted anything to do with it but me. I was getting this stuff shipped into my food guy, for 3/4 of the price I paid for American growth hormone infested bottom round and it was healthier and better quality.

I put it to the grill and taste test before serving it to my customers. I have to say the texture was different but I felt the taste a bit different. Even though I used my same dry rub seasoning blend and grilled it, it almost melted in my mouth. Why? Australia has about 800 beef farms, that do nothing but let cattle roam in green pastures . Most cattle are normally green pasture-fed. Not grain fed like here. Therefore they are eating natural green grass. The end result is a fat ass cow whose beef is leaner, less in saturated fat content, and better for you. They say it contains better fats including Omega 3. Did you know that the Australian Health Council tells their country to eat this yummy stuff at least four times a week? No worries of heart disease from beef there.
pit beef
This is thinly sliced bottom round, even after grilling to death there are some fatty pocket remaining.

Now, I primarily use bottom round, so I can't speak on other cuts but I can only imagine since the rest of the world is in love with this at five star restaurants that it's following the same pattern. Immediately I noticed a difference from American cow.
Aussie Pit Beef Sandwich
The fat that lies inside the Australian meat itself is so nill that it almost disintegrates when grilled.

Australian beef has tiny spider like veins of white lines which may be tiny vessels of fat that melt away when you grill it at high temperatures. It appeared to be almost fat-free when I was done searing it on my open bbq pit with hickory wood. American beef his large pockets of fat that sometimes I must trim off, and even if I try to grill it some of it becomes chewy and you can see it on some of the beef when sliced thin.  Maybe I just got lucky, but according to the Aussie website, I think this is the way it is!

Now I'm happy to say more American farmers are jumping on the hormone free bandwagon, some using less growth hormones and some more mindful of the chemicals used in treating grass and pastures. I still suggest you try to get your hands on some Aussie beef and grill it if you haven't tried it yet.  

Special thanks to one of our Aussie fans for wishing us a Happy 30th Birthday (Aussie Style):





Here's a  few of my favorites ways to eat it --based on using a bottom round roast that may weigh about 12 lbs average, and sectioning it into three hunks that average around 4 lbs each. Slightly larger or slightly smaller is okay too.


GLUTEN FREE - The Aussie American Get it On Roast

Marinate with dry rub seasoning of choice for 48 hours. Set into a casserole dish with 3/4" water in bottom
Add 1cup each of diced celery, and diced carrots spread around the roast.
Add 2 cups of diced red potatoes skin on spread around the roast.
Add 1/2c of diced yellow onion spread around the roast.
Pour 1/4 cup of lite Italian dressing on top the roast, and 1/4 cup spread around the veggies.  (*must be Lite!)
Make sure the water just covers the veggies, if not add a smidge. Bake one in oven on 325 low and slow until veggies are done, temping meat to safe temperature.
Once done, slice with carving knife and eat as roast and veggie dinner.
Tell me what you think.


The two below are not gluten free, but you can make them gluten free by omitting the bread!

The Sweet and Hickory Craky Aussie Sandwich
Marinate a small roast with dry rub seasoning of choice for 48 hours.
Grill on hickory wood reaching safe temperature.
Slice thin and add paper thin slices of lightly grilled white onions and sweet peppers.
Try some hickory sweet bbq sauce and one dash of mayo and horsey sauce on a fresh roll .
Tell me what you think.

The Aussie Au Jus' Big Dipper
Marinate with dry rub seasoning of choice for 48 hours. Bake one in oven casserole putting 1/2" water in bottom of pan and thinly sliced onions (yellow or white).
Cook on slow at 325 degrees until it's at safe temperature internally.
Remove to rest on a tray while you harvest the au' jus. If the au' jus is too think add a bit of water but not much.
Slice thinly and place on a fresh sub roll, top with the onions from the pan and have your au' jus to dip.
Tell me what you think.
 
Buy our top secret dry rub here.

Big Fat Daddy's Archive